Bacteria killed British couple at Egypt hotel

John and Susan Cooper died while on vacation at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel in the Egyptian Red Sea resort of Hurghada

Tests show E coli killed British tourist couple, says Egypt prosecutor

Britain, another major source of visitors to Egypt, also suspended flights to Sharm el-Sheikh, the popular Red Sea resort in Sinai from which the doomed Russian airliner took off shortly before it crashed.

Kelly Ormerod, John and Susan Cooper's daughter, told Sky News on Wednesday she doesn't believe her parents died from E. coli.

A statement from Egyptian general prosecutor Nabil Sadek said yesterday that post-mortem examinations showed E. coli bacteria was the cause of the death.

The deaths of a British couple at an Egyptian hotel was caused by E. coli food poisoning, the Egyptian authorities claimed today.

"Exactly what have they tested for?" said Ormerod, who added that she has no faith in Egypt's authorities, according to the Guardian.

John and Susan Cooper died while on vacation at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel in the Egyptian Red Sea resort of Hurghada.

Prof Brendan Wren, from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, says they were "very unlucky because these strains are very rare".

Thomas Cooper
Thomas Cook deaths: Toxic gas sprayed in room next door | Daily Star

The internal organs, like the liver and kidneys, are affected and simply start to shut down.

Thomas Cook said it was clear "something went wrong in August at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic hotel in Hurghada and that standards fell below what we expect from our hotel partners". "We have not yet seen the full report and we will need time for our own experts to review it", it said in a statement.

Now it has emerged toxic chemicals were reportedly sprayed into the room next to the one the couple were staying in.

But the head of the firm that carried out the work, Namaa Services, denied any wrongdoing and said it used authorised concentrations of chemicals.

Ms Ormerod immediately fetched a doctor, but her father died later that morning and her mother passed away six hours later in hospital.

Egypt's Minister of Tourism Rana Al-Mashat also released a statement, stating that the autopsy was conducted by a team of internationally accredited pathologists.

Thomas Cook revealed last week that it had identified a high level of e.coli bacteria at the hotel, which would "explain the raised level of illness reported among guests".

Latest News