Lost Vegas in remarkable last-minute dash to Carnoustie

Jhonattan Vegas of Venezuela plays his shot from the third tee during the first round of the 147th Open Championship at Carnoustie

Jhonattan Vegas of Venezuela had a frantic rush to get to Carnoustie

After finally resolving problems with his visa, Jhonattan Vegas succeeded in a remarkable transatlantic dash to make his 10.31am tee-off time yesterday.

He lost his clubs en route and, following an 0630 helicopter ride from Glasgow Airport to the east coast of Scotland, a new set of clubs from three different manufacturers had to be hastily cobbled together for the start of his first round.

"It seemed like a horror movie was happening for the past week", said Vegas. "Even if somebody tried to do that on goal, I think you couldn't really do it, where last week, last Thursday, I was supposed to travel here, get here by Friday morning, have a few days to kind of adjust to the time and all that stuff".

He shot a 5-over 76.

"Even though this journey seemed insane and frustrating at times", Vegas said, "I just thought that somebody was really playing a joke on me".

A misreading of the dates on Vegas' visa led to him reapplying for a new one a week before the Open started, but he applied for the wrong kind and had to do it again a few days later. Obviously, the United Kingdom does the day (first), and I've been living in America, I guess, for too long, and I got used to kind of just see the dates flipped (month first), which at the end of the day, it wasn't that big of a deal because I could have gotten a visa in 24 hours.

That set off a cascade of bureaucratic and logistical nightmares: Vegas's visa application suffered delays, and then his connecting flight into NY had its own problems. I mean, I waited - I literally waited in a auto in front of the consulate in Houston for seven hours, hoping for that visa to show up that day. He flew to Toronto before setting off on an overnight flight to Glasgow.

Vegas's troubles did not end upon his arrival, though, after his clubs failed to make the journey with him.

"I'm going to go out there and play with freedom", Vegas told Golf Channel as he tested out his new clubs. "Whatever you can find'".

"I don't know how he even made contact with the ball the first couple holes", Finau said. "I guess I've been living in America too long", he joked. He bogeyed four of his final 10 holes.

"But at the end of the day, I gave it a try".

Vegas only had 2 hours of sleep on his overnight flight, so he meant to have a quiet evening Thursday - and just hope his clubs turn up before the second round.

Latest News