Thailand's rescued cave boys won't see World Cup final live

The boys pose for

Camera Icon The boys pose for

The boys are now housed in a hospital in northern Thailand.

"(The) fact that you have got a living, breathing little tiny person that you are in charge of and you are very limited as to what you can do to help them, and it is a two-hour journey out of the was taxing".

A doctor at the hospital at which they are being treated said: "All of the boys who were evacuated from the cave have been informed of the death of one of the rescuers". "Thanks for saving me".

The last of the 12-member Wild Boars team and their coach were brought out of the Tham Luang cave, near the border with Myanmar, on Tuesday night.

Asked by an off-camera interviewer what they were looking forward to eating, their wish list included slow-cooked pork leg with steamed rice, fried crispy pork, roasted red pork, sushi, steak and KFC.

"I don't know how he will cope (with the attention)", said Oui-pan Sompiengjai, 66, grandmother of 16-year-old Pheeraphat Sompiengjai.

"They [the boys] were pretty unreservedly happy to see us, I think".

The boys, who on average had shed 2 kilograms (4 pounds), had regained some of the weight and their appetites, health minister Piyasakol Sakolsatayadorn said on Saturday.

Three of the boys inside the hospital where they have been recovering
Camera Icon Three of the boys inside the hospital where they have been

"All of the 13 people, their physical bodies are strong, and fit".

Thai authorities have prevented reporters, camped in cafes and at street corners outside the hospital in Chiang Rai, from interviewing the boys, and with good reason, Danese said. Everyone appears emotionally and mentally well, but doctors said they are most concerned about the children being able to grow up without any repercussions from their ordeal.

"Psychologists have been talking to the kids, with the kids, their mental well-being is good today", he said.

"The boys need to go back to their normal life, to their daily routines, in order to fully appreciate that the threat is over", said Danese, who heads the institute's stress and development laboratory.

On his way home to Australia, he posted a message to Facebook praising everyone who was involved in the massive effort - including the British and local divers' skills and the large teams of workers who pumped water from the cave to keep water levels low.

The team initially set off for their adventure on June 23 and an worldwide rescue mission began on July 2 - more than a week after they vanished. When told how Mr Kunan died while installing oxygen tanks along the twisting passageways of the cave numerous boys cried before penning tributes on a drawing of the diver.

He was ordered the Knight Grand Cross (First Class) and given the medal of the Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant. He collapsed and died on July 6 while diving; some officials told the Associated Press that Saman's own oxygen supply ran out during the dive.

Saman was the only fatality in the operation.

Latest News