Thailand turning cave into museum about soccer team's rescue

The rescued Thai football team

Image The rescued Thai football team

Tense footage of the incredible Thailand rescue has highlighted just how risky the path to safety was for the 12 boys.

The boys were in isolation in the hospital to prevent infections by outsiders.

"This may be because they spent the entire time together as a team helping each other out", he said.

The boys lost about two kilograms each the doctors said, or about 4.4 pounds. "We were extremely fortunate that the outcome was the way it was".

The youngest, 11, appeared asleep under a crisp white sheet.

Despite the ordeal, the boys seem to be in fairly good shape, according to Thongchai Lertwilairattanapong, an inspector for Thailand's health department.

Authorities held a press conference early Wednesday in Chiang Rai to discuss the boys' continued recovery from a variety of minor ailments. "Be good people, be a force for good for your country", Rear Admiral Apakorn Yuukongkaew, commander of Thailand's navy SEALS unit, said in a message to the boys before boarding a flight from Chiang Rai.

"The coach was the one to choose", he said.

Congratulations and gratitude came in from across the world after it was reported that all 12 boys and their 25-year-old football coach were safe after being rescued from the Tham Luang cave complex, where they had gotten trapped inside on June 23. They were found by a pair of British divers almost 10 days later, huddled on a small, dry shelf just above the water, smiling with relief but visibly skinny.

Thailand celebrated the successful mission to free 12 boys and their football coach from a cave Wednesday, with the nation heaping praise on the rescue team as the triumphant tagline "Hooyah" spread across social media.

The dangers of the rescue were brought into sharp relief last Friday by the death of a retired Thai Navy SEAL as he ran out off air in the flooded cave complex as the extraction plans were being laid.

Chiang Rai province acting Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn, who oversaw the rescue operation, said the boys should not be blamed for their near tragedy. He lauded the cooperation between Thai and worldwide rescuers.

Officials said they emerged from the cave "healthy" shortly after the last rescues were made, July 10, 2018.

"This area will become a living museum, to show how the operation unfolded", Osottanakorn said.

Each of the boys, ages 11 to 16 and with no diving experience, was guided out by a pair of divers though rocky, muddy and water passages that in places were just a crawl space. Relatively mild weather and a massive effort to pump out water created a window of opportunity.

Harris was supposed to be on holiday when the British diving team leading the rescue effort requested his expertise.

Latest News