Baby buried in woods after car crash is recovering, suspect arrested

5-Month-Old Baby Found Alive After Spending More Than 9 Hours Buried in Woods

The child was found to be in good

"And during the break in communications, we both heard the small whimpering of a child", Jessop recalled.

The infant was saved at approximately 2:30 responding officers, who said he was wearing only a wet and soiled onesie, while in 46-degree weather "for a minimum of 9 hours", according to authorities.

"I abandoned any police training or any chance of saving evidence there - I didn't care", Jessop told reporters. "I'm so mad that we're looking for a dead baby". He had a sparkle in his eye. "I immediately just picked him up".

Officers who found a 5-month-old baby in the woods following a weekend vehicle crash spoke Tuesday about how they came to find the baby, who was believed to have been in the woods for more than nine hours, after expecting the worst.

The baby was found "face down, buried under a pile of sticks and debris", police said in a statement. They wrapped him in another officer's jacket and carried the infant out of the woods.

"It was the happiest 15-20 minutes of my career", Scholz said of the walk out.

Jessop says he followed his gut, but prepared for the worst.

And so authorities began scouring on their own, Missoula County Sheriff T.J. McDermott said at a news conference on Tuesday.

The baby is now in good condition.

Crowley was charged with criminal endangerment and assault on a minor and held at the Missoula County jail on US$200,000 bond, online jail records showed.

The suspect, 32-year-old Francis Crowley, has a history of run-ins with the law.

CBS affiliate KOIN-TV reports Crowley - who is is from Portland, Oregon - was arrested in Wasco County in 2013 and 2017.

Reports say Crowley begged the judge not to take the baby away and said he loves him.

Francis Carlton Crowley [Police Handout]As police were searching for Crowley, a 911 call indicated that Crowley reportedly made his way back to the Hot Springs area.

Sheriff's officials said Crowley, the child's mother and the boy were living in a camp near the hot springs in Lolo National Forest.

Crowley had previously been arrested in Missoula County in June on a fugitive warrant from OR, the Missoulian reported.

Crowley has not entered a plea, but he is expected to have his next court date on July 25.

Crowley variously said the baby was lying on the side of the road or had died and was buried in the woods. And then they found a blue Chevy Corsica crashed into a tree, and a trail of personal items, including baby formula, a diaper bag, children's trivia cards and a baby carrier. Crowley was under post-prison supervision for several counts of burglary and one count of criminal mischief.

The baby was transported to the hospital and treated for dehydration, lack of food and scratches, cuts and bruises he sustained after spending approximately nine hours alone in the wilderness. On the way, the baby coughed up small sticks, the charging document said.

He has since been placed in the custody of the Department of Public Health and Human Services.

For Jessop, who has three daughters, the rescue gave him encouragement in what he described as an emotionally draining job.

Of course, you don't have to believe this was an actual miracle to be happy about it, but kudos to CBS for airing this in the way that the people involved actually experienced it, rather than running it through the media's secular filter. "So it's pretty encouraging for me".

Latest News