Thai boys lost weight but generally well after cave ordeal

Thai divers gather before they enter to the Tham Luang cave in the northern province of Chiang Rai

All 12 Boys Have Been Rescued From Flooded Thai Cave

The last group of the 12-member "Wild Boars" soccer team and their coach was brought out of the Tham Luang cave, near the border with Myanmar, on Tuesday night, safely ending a unsafe rescue and evoking worldwide relief and joy.

Harris signed off on the health of the boys before each rescue began and did not emerge from the cave until each day's rescue had been completed.

The Thai football team who were trapped in the cave.

A video of the boys in hospital was show at the news conference.

The catchphrase "Hooyah" was trending on Twitter after Thai Navy SEALs used it repeatedly on their Facebook page as a rallying cry during the operation.

After days of mounting speculation, another former SEAL diver revealed the boys were sleeping or partially-conscious.

"Some of them were asleep, some of them were wiggling their fingers..."

The aim, Master Sergeant Anderson said, was to make each of the boys "tightly packaged" so divers could keep control of them and adjust their air supply as needed.

In a span of three days, all 12 boys were removed from the cave, one by one.

The families of the four boys rescued on Sunday were allowed to visit them on Monday evening, but they were kept separated by a glass window.

In an operation that gripped the entire world, all 12 boys and their football coach have been successfully rescued from a cave in Thailand after being trapped for more than two weeks.

Thai authorities imposed a media lockdown during the evacuation, even holding large white umbrellas around the boys as they lay in stretchers outside the cave as they were transferred to helicopters bound for hospital.

The 12 Wild Boars are seen lying on their beds, some wearing surgical masks, waving and making the "peace sign" hand gesture.

Mr Thongchai said one from the last group rescued on Tuesday had a lung infection and they were all given vaccinations for rabies and tetanus.

Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull praised the courage of the multinational rescue team, which was run by the Thai military, as "one of the most heroic and inspiring episodes of our time".

Closer to home, Chiang Rai locals rejoiced at the odds-upsetting rescue bid. "They helped each other out, thanks to the management of the coach (assistant coach Ekkapol Chantawong)".

"The cave was dry when we arrived, and within an hour and half it had already filled up by two to three feet and we were being pushed out", said Anderson.

Rescuers had weighed up several options to save the boys, including keeping them in the cave through the months-long monsoon season.

"They will be assessed one by one when they can stop receiving antibiotics".

Four more were brought out on Monday, and the operation ended Tuesday with the rescue of the last four boys and their 25-year-old coach.

"I want to hug him. and I want to tell him that I'm happy", he said. I haven't been able to sleep for days.

A crack team of foreign divers and Thai Navy SEALS guided the boys during a nine-hour operation through almost 4 km of sometimes submerged, pitch-dark channels from where they have been trapped for more than a fortnight.

French soccer star Paul Pogba dedicated his country's World Cup semifinal victory over Belgium to "the heroes of the day, well done boys, you are so strong".

Latest News