Woman on oxygen tank dies after her power is cut off

Linda Daniels died Thursday after the terminally-ill patient’s power was turned off

Linda Daniels died Thursday after the terminally-ill patient’s power was turned off

In order to prevent deaths like Daniels', the NAACP has called for utility companies not to shut off power when it may affect residents' health, such as when the weather is extremely hot or cold, as well protections for elderly and disable customers who need electricity to run medical devices.

Linda had been in hospice care with congestive heart failure since the middle of April.

Her daughter Desiree said energy provider PSEG shut off her mother's service because she had fallen behind on payments.

"We were getting ice and we were putting ice on her, fanning her, trying to make it cool", a family member explained to News 12. Since Linda's primary oxygen, which plugs in, didn't work, they used a smaller reserve, and when that was empty, they called EMS.

"Extreme heat and cold with climate change will only make inequality and injustice worse", Cecil Corbin-Mark of WE ACT for Environmental Justice said following the NAACP report. Last Thursday, as the summer temperature reportedly shot into the 90s, Daniels's electricity was cut off by the local power company, PSE&G. "And she's a senior. We extend our honest condolences to her family", Karen A. Johnson said. "We have a large family and everyone in our family was calling".

"As part of our policy, PSE&G had notified this customer numerous times that their account was in arrears and that they would be scheduled for a service termination unless the account was made current", Jim Namiotka, a PSE&G spokesman, told NJ.com.

Washington told NJ.com: "We are horrified".

"PSEG said 'Oh, we're on our way.' They kept telling us that, but no one showed up".

State regulations prohibit utility companies from cutting services for non-payment if a medical emergency exists.

"The minimum at least 300 dollars every month all the prior month was 300 dollars last month was 400 dollars this month". Stay on top of breaking news stories with the ABC11 News App$450 another month, and July 3, two days before Linda died, $500 was sent in. "They had not notified us of any medical circumstances in the home", it said in a statement.

Power to Daniels' home was restored the day after she died.

"The point is they turned her lights off after she paid the bill", Desiree said.

Latest News