The recapture of the Hajar al-Aswad district comes almost a month after government forces launched an offensive targeting a pocket held by ISIS south of Damascus.
Syrian regime forces are in control of the last rebel enclave in Syria's largest province after "overpowering terrorism" following the evacuation of thousands of armed men and civilians, an officer told state-run TV Tuesday.
The government of President Bashar al-Assad issued a statement aired on state-run television on Wednesday that the military has retaken all the rebel strongholds in Homs and Hama in central Syria.
Around 221 pro-government fighters and 189 ISIS militants have been killed since fighting started on April 19, AFP said, citing the United Kingdom-based monitor the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR).
"As of today, there is not one gunman left, no weapons left in the whole of Homs province", said Talal Barazai, the province's governor.
Regime retakes full control of central Syria as rebels evacuate
They have yet to seize back a small pocket still controlled by Daesh in southern Damascus, as well as a large part of the southern Daraa province and much of Idlib, in the northwest.
The highway was closed in 2013, after part of the adjacent areas were under the control of the armed opposition.
Since February, the Syrian army, backed by Russian Federation, has been engaged in a major push to rid Damascus and the surrounding areas of terrorist groups.
Units from the Syrian Army and other government forces have been looking to build on their impressive territorial gains in Damascus' East Ghouta region, via operation Damascus Steel, and are continuing to oust Daesh* terrorists from their remaining positions in south Damascus.
In a significant victory early last month, the Syrian army managed to fully liberate Eastern Ghouta, which had always been controlled by militant groups and served as a launch pad for deadly rocket attacks against residents and civilian infrastructure in the capital.