DAPCHI: Parents demand release of missing children

Boko Haram released a video on January 15 showing the group's leader Abubakar Shekau posing with a heavy machine-gun

'No missing girls rescued' after Boko Haram attack

But, as things develop we will let you know.

Yobe state Police Commissioner Sumonu Abdulmaliki on Tuesday told reporters Boko Haram had not abducted any girls in Dapchi.

The statement reads, "Targeting children and abducting young girls as they seek to attend school is an attack on our common humanity".

"Many of us are traumatized", she said, adding that the school had given students a one-week break after the ordeal.

"But, we cannot categorically say "X" number of students have been abducted but we can say not all students have returned" he said.

BusinessDay gathered that on account of the scanty information available, at the Presidential Villa, The National Council of States, (a body made up of former Nigerian leaders, governors from the 36 states of the Federation, Ministers and other top government appointees) could not deliberate on the matter at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, Thursday. I am together with the GOC, Brig-Gen Garba. "We saw some people pushing some of the students to enter their vehicles".

Nigeria is still haunted by Boko Haram's abduction of more than 270 schoolgirls from the town of Chibok in 2014.

Three days after suspected Boko Haram fighters attacked a school in northeast Nigeria and kidnapped dozens of schoolgirls, local officials have apologized to parents for mistakenly announcing that some of the students had been rescued.

Alhaji Abdullahi Bego, Director General to Yobe governor on Press affairs, disclosed this in a press statement issued on Wednesday.

"We issued the statement on the basis of information provided by one of the security agencies that is involved in the fight against Boko Haram and which we had no reason to doubt". The Yobe State Government apologises for that.

His Excellency Governor Ibrahim Gaidam is deeply saddened and outraged by the unfortunate event and has directed that all relevant personnel and agencies work closely with the army and other security organizations to address the situation.

According to him, government will continue to do everything necessary in partnership with security agencies and the Federal Government to address the situation.

Latest News