THESE 25 distressed Overseas Filipino Workers from Kuwait feel relieved as they arrive in the country at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 1 onboard Philippines Airlines Flight PR 669.
He also explained that the order of President Rodrigo Duterte to bring home OFWs within 72 hours only covers workers who would like to come home, distressed workers and the 2,000 who applied for amnesty.
A DFA source said only Undersecretary Ernesto Abella is authorized to speak about the issue of repatriation from Kuwait.
"He's meeting with PAL and Cebu Pacific because they signified willingness to help", Francia added.
In a statement, "In addition to the special flights, PAL has been repatriating OFWs using its four weekly Kuwait-Manila regular flights over the past few months". Cebu Pacific said in a press statement that they are now working with the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) and the Philippine Embassy in Kuwait on the final travel settlements.
Duterte lamented the death of a Filipino woman working as a helper in Kuwait whose body was recently found inside a freezer. It added that special arrangements are being made since they no longer have regular commercial air service between Manila and Kuwait.
"CEB will be deploying an Airbus A330 aircraft-the largest in its fleet, for the charter flight". It is the flag carrier's privilege to be of service to those in need. The overseas Filipino workers who arrived on Monday were among those who availed the amnesty program.
The repatriated OFWs arrived on board Philippine Airlines Flight PR 669 at around 6:30 a.m.
Duterte told a news conference on Friday that the ban stays, and that he is prepared to take serious steps to preserve the lives of Filipino workers amid the deaths of domestic workers in Kuwait. Labour Secretary Silvestre Bello Monday announced a "total ban" on new employment in the country, including Filipinos who had already obtained employment permits but had not yet left for the wealthy oil-producing country, AFP reports.
The suspension of the processing of new employment certificates for Kuwait-bound however was not enough for the President, who wanted to "send a strong message" through a total OFW deployment ban, said Labor Secretary Bello.