Swatting suspect in fatal Wichita shooting facing involuntary manslaughter charge

Call of Duty: WW2 “The Resistance” DLC Coming in Early 2018

Man accused in Kansas police swatting case also faces charges in Calgary Add to ...

The California man accused of making a phony 911 call that led to the fatal police shooting of a 28-year-old man has been charged with involuntary manslaughter. Barriss has also been charged with reporting a false alarm, and interference with a law enforcement officer.

Prosecutors allege he made a call from Los Angeles on December 28 with a fake story about a shooting and kidnapping at a home in Wichita. Barriss is now being held on a $500,000 bond.

Barriss is accused of making the false report, which reportedly spawned from an argument after a wager-based game of Call of Duty: WWII.

In the days following Finch's murder, Los Angeles resident Tyler Rai Barriss was arrested and extradited to Kansas in connection with the crime.

Barriss had a reputation for helping people gain revenge against online enemies and gaming opponents through swatting - placing a hoax phone call about a risky situation in order to trigger a massive police response at an address to frighten its occupants. Bariss is the one who allegedly made the phone call to the Wichita police. Instead, Andrew Finch, 28, opened his front door when he saw police lights outside and didn't know why.

An officer discharged his weapon after Finch reached for his waistband, Deputy Chief Troy Livingston of the Wichita Police Department said during a news conference on Friday.

This particular incident reportedly stemmed from a dispute over a low-stakes Call of Duty match, and Finch's mother's residence seems to be a random nearby address to one of the parties involved in the game.

Barriss has also been linked to swatting incidents in IL and New Hampshire, according to court records.

When he raised his hands suddenly, police say, a officer who was standing in a driveway across the street shot him.

Latest News