PEMRA orders to shut down transmission of TV Channels

Protesters 'contacted India', claims Pakistan's interior minister

Pic courtesy Reuters

Television footage showed police officials surrounded the entire area and fired tear gas shells in a bid to disperse the protesters.

Earlier today, a policeman was martyred and several others injured as clashes with protesters turned violent after an operation to clear Faizabad interchange commenced early Saturday morning.

"Most of the injuries occurred after they were hit by rubber bullets and stones", said medical superintendent Pims.

Terming the protesters' nonchalance about the court's earlier order unfortunate, the bench said that while freedom of speech and expression is a fundamental right, the same provision stipulates that such speech and expression can not be used to undermine the "glory of Islam" or to incite an offence or to commit contempt of the court. However, the angry protesters refused to budge and are still protesting. However, Express News quoted police as claiming that at nearly 95 per cent of the sit-in area has been cleared.

The Supreme Court also expressed its disappointment that the ISI report only provided the names of the organisations and persons who were at the forefront of the illegal occupation of Faizabad, without details such as their profession, place of work or where they obtained their funding from, etc.

Protesters have blocked Bhara Kahu leading to Murree, and also set fire to two vehicles at Faizabad Chowk.

Replying to the attorney general's remarks, Justice Alam said, "Tomorrow, if an enemy of the state chooses to occupy the streets of the capital, will the government try to negotiate with them?" The government puts the issue down to a clerical error.

The Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (PEMRA) on Saturday suspended the live transmission of all TV Channels as the situation deteriorated in the Federal Capital where the law enforcement agencies (LEAs) struggled to disperse the sit-in protesters at Faizabad.

The protesters were staging a sit-in for the last 19 days ignoring the government's appeals and court orders to end the protest.

According to the Express Tribune, following the PEMRA order, there has been a media blackout in Islamabad, where nearly all leading private TV channels have gone off-air.

This is a developing story and will be updated accordingly.

Latest News