The Houthi government on Tuesday announced the country's main global airport was fully functional again, a week after a Saudi-led air strike reportedly destroyed the facility's navigation system.
"The transport minister in the Houthi-run government, Zakariya al-Shami, said that technical civil aviation teams had completed implementation of technical alternatives necessary to restore services to the airport".
The Nov. 14 raid destroyed radio navigation equipment at the airport and in effect put the facility out of service.
On Nov. 6, Saudi Arabia-led military coalition forced closure of Houthi-controlled air, land and sea ports after the Nov. 4 Houthi ballistic missile attack over the Saudi capital Riyadh.
"It is ready to receive worldwide flights", Shami said, according to Houthi-controlled news agency Saba. It said it had to stem the flow of arms to the Houthis from Iran, seen by Riyadh as the movement's main backers.
The same source reported that one plane carrying personnel from the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and a second plane from Russian Federation - carrying diplomats en route to Moscow's embassy in Sanaa - had both touched down at the airport on Wednesday.
Some 17 million people in Yemen have no reliable access to food and millions could die if aid cannot reach them, UNICEF, the World Health Organization and the World Food Programme warned last week.
The airport had been open to only select humanitarian flights. Around seven million people are living on the brink of starvation and four million have no access to clean water.