Falcons hold off Seahawks

Falcons hold off Seahawks

Falcons hold off Seahawks

"That was in our range, and in hindsight I would have just driven it more", Walsh said.

A hurried last-ditch series got the Seahawks to within a foot or so of pulling off a miracle comeback against the Atlanta Falcons on Monday night.

Sure, the Falcons had to hold on in the final minutes as the Seahawks surged, but a 34-31 win boosted Atlanta's record to 6-4 and marked a second consecutive victory, following up last week's home triumph over Dallas.

"We kept hanging in there, we kept answering back, we kept answering back, guys made some great plays tonight".

Seattle got the ball back at its own 30 with 1:46 left and no timeouts and moved just close enough to give Walsh - who set an National Football League record when he was with Minnesota and made 12 straight kicks of 50 yards or longer - a shot. Atlanta S Keanu Neal left the game in the first quarter with a head injury but returned and made a huge hit to prevent Seahawks TE Jimmy Graham from scoring. Ryan found Toilolo on a 25-yard TD in the third quarter to give Atlanta a 31-20 lead.

The Falcons started strongly, rounding off their opening drive with a Coleman one-yard rush for the first score at CenturyLink Field.

Walsh then booted the ensuing kickoff short and Atlanta's Andre Roberts couldn't control it with Seattle rookie Tedric Thompson recovering it at the 11.

Early in the second half, promising running back Mike Davis was lost to a groin injury after taking a screen pass 21 yards.

Wilson is still playing at a high level and was able to make plays while scrambling. The field goal unit came on and attempted a fake, holder Jon Ryan flipping the ball to tight end Luke Willson, who was dropped immediately for a 4-yard loss by defensive tackle Grady Jarrett.

Atlanta chose to take a holding penalty to negate a fourth-and-two and set up a third-and-12.

Wilson again was the entirety of Seattle's offense, throwing for 258 yards and two touchdowns, and running for another 86 yards and a TD.

"I was happy with everything else that I did in that game, but it's tough that the last play is what it comes down to", Walsh said.

On Seattle's first possession, Atlanta cornerback Desmond Trufant - a Tacoma native and University of Washington alum - almost had a pick-six if it weren't for Wilson chasing him down to make the tackle.

But it was an terrible night for the Seahawks, filled with more injuries and questionable decisions by coach Pete Carroll. Seattle had one sack, and the Falcons went 9 of 14 on third-down conversions.

It was the second time this year, Rawls has been a healthy scratch and he has just 125 yards on 49 carries for the season.

But just when that seemed like it might end the game Wilson quickly drove Seattle into the end zone. Ryan perfectly played the ball where only Jones could get it, and Jones corralled the ball easily, brushing off the coverage by Seattle Seahawks cornerback Jeremy Lane. Then on second down from the Atlanta 29 the Falcons jumped offsides and knowing he had a free play Wilson fired to a wide open Baldwin for the touchdown.

Facing a third-and-three at its own 22 at the two-minute warning Atlanta chose to throw.

Although Seattle's defense was able to force the Falcons to punt on their next possession, it was the Atlanta defense that scored the next points.

A short pass to J.D. McKissic took the ball to the Atlanta 42. Seattle CB Shaquille Griffin left the game with a concussion on the second play of the game.

After originally appearing to go for it Seattle chose to try the field goal.

Latest News