Union Minister refuses to participate in Tipu Sultan jayanti

Union Minister refuses to participate in Tipu Sultan jayanti

Anantkumar Hegde Minister of State

The MP for Uttara Kannada Hegde had previously too asked the Deputy Commissioner of Uttara Kannada not to include his name in the programme invitations.

"(I have) Conveyed (to) Karnataka government not to invite me to shameful event of glorifying a person known as brutal killer, wretched fanatic and mass rapist", the BJP leader said in a tweet.

Irked by his letter, Karnataka's Chief Minister, Siddaramiah criticised his views towards the "hero for the country" and preached Hegde to "first learn about Tipu Sultan" before making such incoherent statement.

BJP MP Shobha Karandlaje said that Tipu was anti-Kannada and anti-Hindu, all the Kannadigas are opposing it. Shobha added that she had told government that they shouldn't celebrate Tipu Jayanti from government's side but they are into vote-bank politics.

When the Congress government in Karnataka chose to start celebrating the birth anniversary of 18th century ruler Tipu Sultan two years ago, it may not have anticipated the fallout of that decision.

The Tipu Jayanti issue has once again surfaced in Karnataka politics.

The invitation to the Union Minister was extended only as part of the "protocol", the Chief Minister added. "It is up to them to accept or reject it", CM Siddaramaiah told ANI on Saturday. Tipu is not just a hero for us but for the country, He fought against the British as well and won the battle of Srirangapatnam.

Hegde had in 2016 condemned the state government's plan to celebrate the event which marks the birth anniversary of the controversial former ruler of princely state of Mysuru. While his derogatory remarks about Islam have drawn criticism, he was also accused of assaulting a doctor in Uttara Kannada earlier allegedly because the doctor refused to treat Hegde's ailing mother on priority basis even as several other patients waited their turns for getting medical attention.

Hegde had previous year too asked to be left out of the celebrations. That year saw two people killed in protests.

Latest News