If you're traveling to Mexico, think twice about drinking this soda

Banner Health says methamphetamine was found in 7Up drinks in Mexico

Methamphetamine was found in 7Up drinks in Mexico

News accounts have stated that the contaminated soft drinks, believed to have been bought in the Mexicali area, have killed one person and sickened at least seven others, according to the Attorney General of Justice of the State of Baja California.

Methamphetamine-laced 7Up has reportedly caused one death and sent seven other people to the hospital in northern Mexico, prompting warnings to travelers from us health professionals.

Baja California's Health Department officials said health authorities have removed the products from shelves. Mexicali is situated on the border between California and Mexico border, about two hours drive from San Diego.

Banner Health, a hospital network in Arizona and Colorado, released a statement about the reported contamination last Wednesday, saying, "Medical toxicologists and emergency department physicians are on high alert".

The U.S. State Department issued an alert in July to warn travelers in Mexico about the possibility of tainted alcohol after many reports of people becoming ill at some all-inclusive resorts. These reports indicate that 7UP bottles consumed in Mexicali, Mexico, were contaminated with methamphetamine. "It is important to check that the seal for any food and drink consumed is still intact and shows no signs of tampering", said Daniel Brooks. "If you notice any difference in color, taste or smell, throw it out".

In addition, Dr Pepper Snapple Group said the company does not market, sell, or distribute the brand in other parts of the world, as PepsiCo owns and licenses the trademark internationally.

It warned that symptoms may manifest themselves suddenly, and consuming contaminated 7-Up can be life threatening.

Mexican drug cartels have expanded from marijuana and cocaine trafficking in recent years to include methamphetamine and heroin and the country is a major supplier of methamphetamine to the USA market.

Anyone who suspects he or she may have consumed contaminated food or beverages should call their local Poison Control Center or 911 immediately.

Latest News