Singapore to continue hosting Formula 1 Grand Prix until 2021

If Fernando Alonso remains with Mc Laren next season he will be racing with Renault engines

If Fernando Alonso remains with Mc Laren next season he will be racing with Renault engines

The Singapore Grand Prix will continue to be part of the Formula 1 World Championship until 2021, Singapore GP Pte Ltd and Singapore Tourism Board announced on Friday.

Following the demise of the Malaysian Grand Prix, which will be held for the last time on 1 October, it will be the only race in the region. "We have so far not got a chance to engage in depth yet, it has only been a little over half a year since the complete change in ownership", said Carey in response to a PTI query.

The Brazilian really likes the night-time, city setting of the Marina Bay Street Circuit, and is well prepared for the tough conditions that await, with the high temperatures making the race one of the hardest going on the Formula 1 calendar, according to the 36-year-old.

"We are looking forward to offering our continued support to make the next four years even more spectacular and exciting".

McLaren have split with Honda and will be using Renault engines from next season
McLaren have split with Honda and will be using Renault engines from next season

Singapore joined the schedule in 2008 as the sport's inaugural night race, and in 2012 penned an extension through to 2017.

The Indian Grand Prix went off the calendar after three editions from 2011, largely due to the serious financial problems faced by promoter Jaypee Group and the red tape around the event.

S. Iswaran, Minister of Singapore's Trade and Industry, said that the F1 Singapore Grand Prix has made significant revenue for the country's economy as well as motorsport's franchise. All said and done though, with the likes of Ferrari and Mercedes-AMG battling for the top spot every year and the sport becoming more and more interesting with every race, the Indian F1 fans would love to see the series return to India.

Latest News