Passenger On Thunderbirds Jet That Crashed At Air Show Released From Hospital

An Air Force pilot from Fort Lauderdale was one of two injured Friday when a Thunderbirds jet crashed upon landing at an OH air show.

The Thunderbirds were to headline the Vectren Dayton Air Show in June 2013, but the Air Force grounded the unit because of funding cuts related to sequestration. The airport got a record-breaking amount of rain that day, according to the Dayton Daily News, but the Air Force said the weather had been deemed safe to fly in. "Not only for the public but also for other aviators in the Air Force to make sure it doesn't happen again". Even the landing - shortly after noon in wind and rain - looked smooth to one witness.

The Dayton Air Show is no stranger to tragedy: In 2013, a pilot and stunt walker were killed when their bi-plane crashed onto the runway and burst into flames as spectators looked on.

Captain Erik Gonsalves, identified as the pilot, and TSgt. He had been taking Tech.

The Dayton Daily News reports ( ) Technical Sgt. Kenneth Cordova was released Friday night.

No injuries or report of any fuel leaks were immediately reported.

Whether the team flies on Sunday will be decided once Heard and his superiors determine if the team can me mission-ready.

Both men are receiving medical care at a local hospital but are in good condition, according to Heard.

"It is better to wait for the full facts to be examined by a board", Heard said.

Authorities say a military jet apparently practicing for an OH air show has been involved in an accident.

There were no fatalities in the accident, the spokesperson said.

The passenger in the plane was Sgt. Kenneth Cordova of Littleton. As narrator, Capt. Gonsalves is the only announcer trained to discuss this season's maneuvers by the Thunderbirds. He would not have actually flown in Saturday's performance in Dayton - which, due to the crash, will now take place without the Thunderbirds' climactic flyover.

Latest News