Iran arrests seven suspects for supporting ISIS-claimed attacks

Iran arrests seven suspects for supporting ISIS-claimed attacks

Iran arrests seven suspects for supporting ISIS-claimed attacks

The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for dual attacks Wednesday on Iran's parliament and the shrine of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.

On Sunday, six more people who were said to have direct links to terrorist groups were arrested in Iranian Kurdistan, according to Mizan, a publication of Iran's judiciary. One of the two attackers to Imam Khomeini Mausoleum detonated his bomb-vest and the other was shot by security forces.

The terrorist acts which led to the "martyrdom and injury" of the Iranians is "a clear sign of enmity" of the mercenaries of global arrogance against the Iranian nation, Khamenei said in a condolence message to the nation over Wednesday's twin deadly attacks by the Islamic State (IS) militants in Tehran.

The official IRNA news agency today quotes Intelligence Minister Mahmoud Alavi as saying the suspect left Iran for a neighbouring country following the attacks but "was sent to hell" by Iranian intelligence agents and " fellow intelligence services".

"The terrorist incidents in Iran, sponsored by the United States, made more transparent what is going on in the region", Larijani said, adding that "the United States has allied itself with the regional Daesh (IS)". Still, Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei has previously stated his belief that the United States created the Islamic State, referred to as Daesh in the Middle East. Khamenei recently tweeted from his English-language Twitter account that the United States created and is supporting the Islamic State in order to "defame true Islam" and promote Sunni Wahhabism.

Meanwhile, President Trump's statement on the attack has prompted criticism in Iran.

The number of disrupted plots appears to be far greater in Iran, a Shiite-majority country loathed by the militant Sunni extremists of the Islamic State, which has aimed to hit Iran since at least 2007.

Alavi also said that in the past three months, Iran has broken up 25 terrorist teams.

Saudi Arabia has denied involvement, Reuters reports. "The fact ISIS claimed responsibility proves that they [Saudi Arabia] were involved in the brutal attack".

Latest News