US, Mexico and Canada Announce Joint Bid For 2026 World

One of the world's grandest and most celebrated sporting events could be coming to North America. The expansion will begin after the World Cups in Russian Federation and Qatar.

Sixty matches will be played in the U.S. Mexico and Canada will each host 10 matches each.

They are seeking to host the first World Cup with an expanded 48-nation field.

This alliance makes history by being the first bid submitted by three countries together.

Canada's Mens National Team has been trending downward for years and a successful World Cup big would likely do wonders for the growing spot of soccer in Canada. And though the US was the odds-on favorite to land the tournament after finishing second in the vote for 2022 (which went to Qatar), the election of Donald J. Trump as president and his views on immigration and Mexico have been cause for concern.

The vote will be the first under Federation Internationale de Football Association president Gianni Infantino, who was elected in February to head the organization. Almost 1.5 million spectators attended the 32 matches for an average of 46,000 fans per game, making it the best attended Copa America in the competition's 100-yer history. The president has also backed a joint Argentina-Uruguay bid for the 2030 World Cup, which would be the tournament's 100th anniversary. South American hosted in 2014 (Brazil) and Africa last hosted the 2010 tournament (South Africa), while Oceania has never hosted.

The World Cup trophy is seen in the FIFA World Football Museum during its inauguration on February 28, 2016 in Zurich.Newly-elected FIFA president Gianni Infantino paid tribute to his disgraced predecessor in the job, Sepp Blatter, for the role he played in establishing a new $140million football museum which opened Sunday in Zurich. Following this, an enhanced phase for bid preparation will take place from this June until December 2018. The bids will be evaluated over the next 15 months, with that phase being completed by February 2020.

Two days ago, it was reported that the US, Canada and Mexico would launch a joint bid for the 2026 World Cup. Previously, the voting power was wielded by an executive ruling committee of around two dozen countries.

"It is normal to be insatiable, but we are the home side in many cities in the United States", said Cantu in an interview with ESPN's Sportscenter.

Right now, the USA bans travel from six countries-none of which are soccer powerhouses, but could qualify under the expanded format.

The three-country host format also raises the question of who will automatically qualify.

US Soccer president Sunil Gulati. "We have a strong encouragement from President Trump".

Gulati said the joint bid has the full support of the US government, adding that President Donald Trump is especially pleased Mexico is part of the bid.

United States of America and Mexico have previously hosted the tournament separately, with the U.S. doing so in 1994 and Mexico staging 1970 and 1986.

It looks like the US and CONCACAF know it.

The joint bid was announced on Monday atop the Freedom Tower in lower Manhattan by the heads of the American, Mexican and Canadian federations.

Latest News